The air fryer vs toaster oven will be the subject of today’s comparison review. As a matter of fact, I’ve been thinking about writing this essay for a long now since I keep hearing people say things like, “That’s one fantastic toaster oven.”
Keeping this in mind, let’s begin by laying the groundwork for the rest of the post by establishing a standardized foundation. What you’ll get from this is a better understanding of where the comparisons come from.
An air fryer vs toaster oven comparison will be provided. There is an honest look at the advantages and disadvantages of each item, from how well it prepares meals to how effectively it cleans.
Is an Air Fryer Or Toaster Oven Better?
An air fryer or a toaster oven might be a good option if you’re looking for a small cooking appliance. Most items that you’d bake or roast in a regular oven can be cooked in either of these devices, but since they’re so little, they’re perfect for small spaces like dorm rooms, RVs, and studio flats.
Forced-air convection heats the food uniformly and crisps it, yet the frying area in an air fryer may be as tiny as a firefly. A convection feature is not always available in toaster ovens, which are often larger.
Can an Air Fryer Replace a Toaster Oven?
Because they are so similar, an air fryer may easily take the place of a toaster oven. Both of these speed up the process of cooking and cleaning. They’re recognized for their tiny size and energy-saving features, which have made them a popular choice.
Toaster ovens and air fryers are both smaller versions of a conventional oven that cook food in the same way.
If you want to get yourself a combination of the two, you can check out our review of the best air fryer toaster ovens.
Pros and Cons of Air Fryer And Toaster Oven
- Because of their small size, air fryers are well-known for producing crisp fries and rejuvenating takeout that would have otherwise gone bad.
- Pod or barrel-shaped air fryers with a tiny cooking chamber and an electric coil heating source at the top were common in the early days of air frying.
- The footprint of its vertical design is modest. Many models now feature racks and sheet pans and are closer in size to a microwave, which is perfect if you only prepare one or two servings at a time or if you have limited counter space.
- The perforated frying pan also referred to as a basket, is one of the major benefits of an air fryer, particularly when you want something to turn brown and crispy. Because of the perforations, hot air can reach more of your food’s surface area, resulting in quicker and more evenly cooked food.
- Food is commonly stacked vertically because of the futuristic pod shape’s lack of counter space. Since of the congestion, the food browns unevenly because the air is unable to reach the food’s surface quickly enough. It’s possible to shake the basket every few minutes, although this is more of a chore than cooking everything in one layer.
- Due to their small capacity, air fryers are not ideal for big families or bulk cooking.
- Using an air fryer to make baked goods like cakes or toast is not a smart idea.
- In order to provide consistent heating, a convection toaster oven has heating elements on the bottom and top, as well as a fan in the back. On the top of many air fryers, there is merely a heating element.
- Toast for breakfast, cupcakes, or a complete roast chicken may all be produced in the same countertop toaster oven, which is common in bigger models. With their speedy preheating, toaster ovens may end up taking precedence over your regular oven.
- Modern toaster ovens have various safety precautions, including modified heating components and automated shut-off, which used to give them a poor rap for being fire hazards.
- A convection toaster oven takes up more counter space than other air fryers on the market. In the case of a tiny kitchen or seldom baking or broiling, the extra counter space may not be worth the investment.
- When compared to air fryers, convection toaster ovens do not necessarily come equipped with an air fryer basket or a perforated pan. Fortunately, there are a number of attractive toaster oven accessory sets to choose from. Pizza pans and muffin pans sized for toaster ovens are included in some sets.
- In the opinion of some users, toaster oven versions don’t make food as crispy as a specialized air fryer, even when using the air fry option.
Difference Between Air Fryer And Toaster Oven
When comparing a normal air fryer with a toaster oven, the following distinctions stand out:
Hot Air Circulation
The circulation of hot air inside the chambers of these two devices is a major distinction. The food in a toaster oven is immediately cooked by a fan. Food is fried in a stream of hot air in an air fryer.
Because it is smaller and more compact than a toaster oven, an air fryer is more effective at dispersing hot air during cooking.
In contrast, a fan is not typically included with toaster ovens to assist in the circulation of hot air. Whenever a fan is used, it is usually found near the rear of the unit. Outside, it’s easy to see this fan.
In contrast to a toaster oven, which lacks a basket at the bottom for distributing hot air across the underside of your food, an air fryer has this equipment.
Because the food isn’t immersed in oil, this isn’t a deep fryer.
When compared to toaster ovens, air fryers are often far more compact. As a result, they are unsuitable for lengthy training. However, they are able to prepare a variety of things at a rapid pace.
The capacity of a toaster oven is more than that of a regular oven because of its larger size. Unlike an air fryer, you may use it to cook chicken and lamb chops.
If you have a small kitchen, an air fryer is a great option since it can be crammed into a smaller area.
When not in use, both of these devices may be safely stored away by simply unplugging them.
Time Of Cooking
Because of the internal tiny fans and the air fryer’s convection system, heat is dispersed swiftly and effectively. As a result, food in an air fryer cooks more quickly.
Using an air fryer instead of a toaster oven saves time since the latter can only heat food at the pace of a standard oven. One item that the toaster oven can heat the quickest is bread, as the device’s name indicates.
A deep fryer and an air fryer may have various differences. It’s not so clear when you’re looking at crunchy foods. Because air fryers don’t use oil to cook food, you can be sure that you’ll be eating something tasty and healthy at the same time.
Moreover, the air fryer is also highly adaptable kitchen equipment because it can cook a range of meals with built-in characteristics such as baked, baked, fried, frozen foods, etc. It’s simple to use if you follow the on-screen directions.
A toaster oven has fewer options. You may use it to bake, grill, and roast. However, this does not rule out the possibility of preparing other foods in the toaster oven. It all comes down to your culinary prowess.
But if you’re going to use the toaster oven for anything other than bread, you’ll want to make sure you use oil or a replacement to provide moisture to the meal beforehand. In the absence of proper care, your meal will be quite dry, which is not ideal.
While the amount of labor required to clean an air fryer and a toaster oven differs, the results are remarkably comparable. There are more components to clean (basket, pan, and surrounding area) with an air fryer than with a conventional fryer, but the pieces are smaller and easier to handle.
There are fewer components to clean in a toaster oven, but the pieces are bigger and more difficult to handle.
As a result of the limited accessibility, cleaning the interior of a toaster oven may be a real hassle.
Toaster ovens, on the whole, have extremely little heat-retaining insulation. Insulation is typically supplied solely by thin metal sheets. A more costly model may help, but it’s still not as good as a standard air fryer.
A conventional air fryer has a frying basket that is housed in a well-insulated cooking chamber. In many cases, they are meant to be insulated. This will help protect the air fryer from overheating your kitchen by retaining more of its heat.
Small-kitchen owners and those who live in hot climes would appreciate this. Even in the sweltering heat of Hong Kong’s summer, utilizing an air fryer makes cooking a breeze!
When you have a tiny kitchen, this insulation comes in quite helpful (like me). In the air fryers I’ve had, the outer surfaces never become hot. You can put an air fryer away as soon as you’re done using it because of this. Toaster ovens, on the other hand, need you to wait for the metal exterior to cool down first.
Currently, I possess both an air fryer as well as a toaster oven. Unlike the toaster oven, the air fryer uses 1600 watts of power. To put it another way, I discovered that air fryers are typically more powerful, which means that they use up more electricity.
However, the change isn’t substantial enough to show up on your monthly power bill. If you decide to buy the appliance, don’t be put off by this fact. An Air Fryer’s insulating benefit may make it even more energy-efficient than a conventional deep fryer.
Potential Mechanical Problems & Safety
A toaster oven, on the other hand, has been around for a decade and is easier than an air fryer, which employs a more complicated and powerful heat source to cook the food within. Because of this, an air fryer is considerably more prone than a toaster oven to have mechanical issues.
Don’t get me wrong, if you get a high-quality air fryer, it’s unlikely to malfunction. When compared to an air fryer, it is more likely to happen.
The extreme heat utilized inside an air fryer makes it more prone to have safety risks as well. When used appropriately, air fryers are safety equipment, but they are more likely to pose a safety risk when paired with a toaster oven.
When comparing regular toaster oven and air fryer models, it was evident that air fryers would often cost more. They both have a large variety of items, thus I referred to them as “standard models” because of this.
Toaster ovens in the $25-$40 price range may be found after reading this page. Feel free to have a look at them on Amazon. On the other hand, the most affordable air fryers may be had for as little as $40-$70.
Conclusion on Air fryer vs Toaster Oven
However, toaster ovens and air fryers are not interchangeable terms. In a small kitchen, an air fryer is an ideal solution for preparing frozen items like french fries. For those who need more counter space and a larger selection of cooking options, a convection toaster oven may be the best bet.